By Elmar Bollin,Martin Becker,Ekkehard Boggasch,Mathias Fraaß,Alfred Karbach,Peter Ritzenhoff,Dieter Striebel
By Kambiz Vafai
Handbook of Porous Media, 3rd Edition deals a complete evaluation of the most recent theories on stream, delivery, and heat-exchange approaches in porous media. It additionally information refined porous media types that are used to enhance the accuracy of modeling in quite a few functional functions.
Featuring contributions from top specialists of their respective fields, this book:
- Presents the overall features and modeling of porous media, reminiscent of multiscale modeling of porous media, two-phase stream, compressible porous media, and dispersion in porous media
- Addresses the elemental subject matters of shipping in porous media, together with theoretical types of shipping, membrane shipping phenomena, modeling shipping homes, and shipping in biomedical applications
- Describes numerous vital features of turbulence in porous media, together with advances in modeling turbulence phenomena in heterogeneous porous media
- Explores warmth move of nanofluids in addition to thermal shipping in porous media, together with pressured convection, double diffusive convection, high-heat flux purposes, and thermal habit of poroelastic media
- Covers geological purposes in porous media, together with modeling and experimental demanding situations relating to oil fields, CO2 migration, groundwater flows, and pace measurements
- Discusses suitable attributes of experimental paintings or numerical strategies each time applicable
Paving the best way for the institution of multidisciplinary parts of research, instruction manual of Porous Media, 3rd variation further complements cooperation among engineers and scientists by means of offering a invaluable reference for addressing one of the most hard matters in engineering and the hydrogeological, organic, and biomedical sciences.
By James O. Wilkes
The Chemical Engineer's sensible advisor to modern Fluid Mechanics
Since so much chemical processing purposes are carried out both in part or absolutely within the fluid part, chemical engineers want a powerful realizing of fluid mechanics. Such wisdom is mainly invaluable for fixing difficulties within the biochemical, chemical, strength, fermentation, fabrics, mining, petroleum, prescription drugs, polymer, and waste-processing industries.
Fluid Mechanics for Chemical Engineers, moment variation, with Microfluidics and CFD, systematically introduces fluid mechanics from the point of view of the chemical engineer who needs to comprehend genuine actual habit and remedy real-world difficulties. construction on a primary variation that earned Choice Magazine's amazing educational identify award, this version has been completely up to date to mirror the field's most recent advances.
This moment version comprises wide new assurance of either microfluidics and computational fluid dynamics, systematically demonstrating CFD via targeted examples utilizing FlowLab and COMSOL Multiphysics. The bankruptcy on turbulence has been greatly revised to handle extra advanced and real looking demanding situations, together with turbulent blending and recirculating flows.
Part I deals a transparent, succinct, easy-to-follow creation to macroscopic fluid mechanics, together with actual homes; hydrostatics; easy cost legislation for mass, power, and momentum; and the basic rules of circulate via pumps, pipes, and different apparatus. half II turns to microscopic fluid mechanics, which covers
- Differential equations of fluid mechanics
- Viscous-flow difficulties, a few together with polymer processing
- Laplace's equation, irrotational, and porous-media flows
- Nearly unidirectional flows, from boundary layers to lubrication, calendering, and thin-film purposes
- Turbulent flows, displaying how the k/ε strategy extends traditional mixing-length concept
- Bubble movement, two-phase move, and fluidization
- Non-Newtonian fluids, together with inelastic and viscoelastic fluids
- Microfluidics and electrokinetic circulation results together with electroosmosis, electrophoresis, streaming potentials, and electroosmotic switching
- Computational fluid mechanics with FlowLab and COMSOL Multiphysics
Fluid Mechanics for Chemical Engineers, moment version, with Microfluidics and CFD, contains eighty three thoroughly labored useful examples, a number of of which contain FlowLab and COMSOL Multiphysics. There also are 330 end-of-chapter difficulties of various complexity, together with numerous from the college of Cambridge chemical engineering examinations. the writer covers the entire fabric wanted for the fluid mechanics part of the pro Engineer's examination.
The author's site, www.engin.umich.edu/~fmche/, presents extra notes on person chapters, problem-solving guidance, errata, and more.
By Achim Kampker
By Takahiro Nemoto
This thesis describes a style to manage infrequent occasions in non-equilibrium structures via utilizing actual forces to these platforms yet with out counting on numerical simulation recommendations, similar to copying infrequent occasions. with a purpose to learn this system, the e-book attracts at the mathematical constitution of equilibrium statistical mechanics, which connects huge deviation services with experimentally measureable thermodynamic features. bearing on this particular constitution because the “phenomenological constitution for the big deviation principle”, the writer therefore extends it to time-series data that may be used to explain non-equilibrium physics.
The e-book beneficial properties pedagogical causes and in addition exhibits many open difficulties to which the proposed procedure should be utilized purely to a constrained volume. past highlighting those demanding difficulties as some degree of departure, it particularly bargains an efficient technique of description for infrequent occasions, that can develop into the following paradigm of non-equilibrium statistical mechanics.
By Wolfram Schmidt
In this "SpringerBrief" the writer considers the underlying difficulties and questions which are universal to numerical types of turbulence in several astrophysical structures.
Turbulence has emerged as a huge examine subject in numerous parts of astrophysics. realizing and modeling turbulence is especially vital for the dynamics of the interstellar medium, but in addition for the intergalactic medium, in addition to in stars. The development of equipment for numerical simulations of astrophysical turbulence, even though, continues to be demanding due to gravity, robust compressibility, magnetic fields, and different effects.
The ebook starts with a assessment of basic features of numerical simulations of turbulence. usually half the writer provides findings from his numerical stories on astrophysical turbulence and discusses the astrophysical implications. He additionally explains intimately the numerical schemes utilized.
Readers will locate that this booklet bargains a compact but entire introduction.
By Horacio Sergio Wio
This e-book goals to supply a compact and unified creation to an important facets within the physics of non-equilibrium platforms. It first introduces stochastic procedures and a few smooth instruments and ideas that experience proved their usefulness to house non-equilibrium structures from a simply probabilistic attitude. the purpose is to teach the $64000 position performed via fluctuations in far-from-equilibrium events, the place noise can advertise order and association, switching between non-equilibrium states, and so forth. the second one half adopts a extra historic standpoint, retracing the 1st steps taken from the only thermodynamic in addition to from the kinetic issues of view to go away (albeit a bit of) from equilibrium. The 3rd half revisits the trail defined within the first one, yet now undertakes the mesoscopic description of prolonged structures, the place new phenomena (patterns, long-range correlations, scaling faraway from equilibrium, etc.) are observed.
This publication is a revised and prolonged model of an prior version released in 1994. It contains subject matters of present examine curiosity in far-from-equilibrium events like noise-induced phenomena and loose energy-like functionals, floor progress and roughening, and so on. it may be used as a complicated textbook through graduate scholars in physics. It additionally covers themes of present curiosity in different disciplines and interdisciplinary ways in engineering, biophysics, and economics, between others.
The point of aspect within the e-book is sufficient to trap the curiosity of the reader and facilitate the trail to extra studying by way of exploring the trendy study literature supplied. while, the publication is additionally whole sufficient to be self-contained for these readers who simply desire an outline of the subject.
- The Stochastic Approach:
- Stochastic procedures and the grasp Equation
- The Fokker–Planck Equation
- The Ω–Expansion
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics close to Equilibrium:
- Distributions, BBGKY–Hierarchy, stability Equations, and the Density Operator
- Linear Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics and Onsager Relations
- Linear reaction conception, Fluctuation–Dissipation Theorem
- The Mesoscopic technique faraway from Equilibrium: Non-Extended Systems:
- Stability of Dissipative Dynamical Systems
- Noise-Induced Phenomena in Non-Extended Dynamical Systems
- The Mesoscopic procedure faraway from Equilibrium: prolonged Systems:
- Formation and Propagation of styles in Far-from-Equilibrium Systems
- Noise-Induced Phenomena in prolonged Systems
- Surface progress and Kinetic Roughening
- Final Comments
Readership: Graduate scholars and researchers not just in statistical physics, yet engineering, biophysics and economics.
By Kalyan Annamalai,Ishwar K. Puri
Taking a down-to-earth point of view, the ebook avoids heavy arithmetic within the first seven chapters and in bankruptcy 17 (pollutants formation and destruction), yet considers molecular options and delves into engineering information. It starts with an overview of thermodynamics; fundamentals of thermochemistry and chemical equilibrium; descriptions of reliable, liquid, and gaseous fuels; chemical kinetics and mass move; and purposes of conception to functional platforms. starting in bankruptcy eight, the authors supply an in depth remedy of differential types of conservation equations; analyses of gasoline combustion together with jet combustion and boundary layer difficulties; ignition; flame propagation; interactive and team combustion; pollutant formation and keep an eye on; and turbulent combustion.
In addition, this textbook contains plentiful examples, illustrations, and routines, in addition to spreadsheet software program in combustion to be had for obtain. This software program permits scholars to determine the examples present in the textual content. Combustion technological know-how and Engineering imparts the talents and foundational wisdom beneficial for college students to effectively strategy and remedy new problems.
By Robert L. Mott,Joseph A. Untener
For all fluid mechanics, hydraulics, and similar classes in Mechanical, production, Chemical, Fluid strength, and Civil Engineering know-how and Engineering programs.
The prime applications-oriented method of engineering fluid mechanics is now in complete colour, with built-in software program, new difficulties, and vast new coverage.
Now in complete colour with a fascinating new design, utilized Fluid Mechanics, 7th variation, is the totally up-to-date version of the preferred applications-oriented method of engineering fluid mechanics. It bargains a transparent and sensible presentation of all easy ideas of fluid mechanics (both statics and dynamics), tying concept on to actual units and platforms utilized in mechanical, chemical, civil, and environmental engineering. The seventh variation deals new real-world instance difficulties and integrates using world-renowned PIPE-FLO® software for piping procedure research and layout. It offers new techniques for problem-solving and layout; extra lifelike and better caliber illustrations; and extra insurance of many subject matters, together with hose, plastic pipe, tubing, pumps, viscosity size units, and computational fluid mechanics. Full-color photos and colour highlighting make charts, graphs, and tables more straightforward to interpret arrange narrative fabric into extra doable “chunks,” and make all of this text's content material more uncomplicated to study.
Teaching and studying Experience
This applications-oriented creation to fluid mechanics has been redesigned and better to be extra enticing, interactive, and pedagogically effective.
- Completely redesigned in complete colour, with extra pedagogical positive aspects, all designed to have interaction present day scholars: This variation comprises many new full-color photos, upgraded to enhance realism, consistency, photo caliber, and relevance. New pedagogical positive aspects were additional to aid scholars discover rules extra extensively and overview fabric extra successfully.
- Provides extra hands-on perform and real-world purposes, together with new difficulties and software program: Includes entry to the preferred PIPE-FLO® and Pump-Base® software program programs, with distinct utilization directions; new real-world instance difficulties; and extra supplementary difficulties
- Updated and sophisticated to mirror the most recent items, instruments, and strategies: Contains up to date facts and research innovations, stronger challenge fixing and layout innovations, new content material on many subject matters, and vast new references.
By Bernhard Weigand,Jürgen Köhler,Jens Wolfersdorf